Frequently Asked Questions on HCH - NGO
How did HCH originate?
HCH is a nonprofit organization to tackle the sorry condition of underprivileged children in Nepal.
Does the Nepalese government fund HCH?
As an NGO (non-government organization), we do not receive any direct government funding providing us with the opportunity to remain independent and make unbiased evaluations of government policies and programs. HCH funds are deployed in Nepal to benefit underprivileged Nepalese children especially orphans and small proportions are also invested in local causes.
In that case, how does HCH raise resources?
HCH raises the valuable resources we need for our work through donations received from individuals, corporations and institutions.
The problem is huge! Will my small contribution make a difference?
It most certainly will. A small amount goes a long way. In fact, individuals’ contributions outline almost 90 to 95% of our income. Taken together, it is these seemingly small contributions that collectively add up to a large amount needed to affect change. HCH provides the opportunity to help needy children in whatever way you can. You can contribute money, materials, time or skills. When everybody comes together and pitches in, no task is impossible. This collective action has an impact and brings about change. Every individual’s contribution is important.
How does HCH ensure implementation of Child Rights?
HCH attempts to address the root causes affecting child rights– such as non-functioning schools, child labor, unemployed parents, non-availability of healthcare centers etc – that keep children away from their rights make them vulnerable.
Moreover, HCH believes that community mobilization is one of the key aspects of ensuring sustainable change. Our approach has ensured that children, their parents and communities are informed about their rights and engage with their local government bodies to make sure that the root causes of their immediate problems are solved.
On what basis HCH chooses the projects that it supports?
Our selection process is basically based on trust, transparency, partnership and accountability. HCH's Development Support division works closely with partners to understand their needs ensure resources are optimally used through regular budgeting and reporting systems.
How are resources collected by HCH used?
We use a holistic approach to efficiently put our pool of resources to use using the following methods:
- Direct action with children in the form of education and health care.
- Community mobilization towards achievement of their rights.
- Advocacy with government bodies to influence policy framing and implementation.
Financial support and non-financial inputs in the form of organization development, capacity building and training is extended to:
- Individuals and projects working directly with underprivileged children and their parents, with local communities and government bodies.
- Resource organizations that provide training, education material, etc. to smaller, younger initiatives in particular.
- Strategic alliances or networks, whose aim is to facilitate the transfer of learning, build solidarity and influence policy.
How does HCH cover its own costs?
HCH's organizational costs comprise:
- Raising donations.
- Selecting, monitoring, evaluating and providing capacity building inputs to projects.
- Creating public awareness on our children's situation and their rights
- Support activities like administration, human resources, communication, information technology and financial management.
- Office equipment, furniture, travel, courier services, information technology support, media and advertising are some of the areas in which we receive free or discounted services from corporate partners as well as donations in cash and kind, wherever possible. Exemptions from duties also help reduce our costs. Income from corpus investments and other funds are also used to cover expenses.
Are HCH employees paid for their work?
The full-time employees of HCH are given regular salaries. We believe that this is important to attract the professional talent we need to manage our activities (and your resources) effectively. It is important to note, however, that HCH salaries are modest in comparison with commercial organizations.
Where can I view your Annual Report?
Our Annual Report will be disclosed at the General Meeting which is held once a year before the commencement of new fiscal year. If you have any queries that have not been addressed here or require clarification on any of the information provided, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at our office in Panauti, Kavrepalanchowk, Nepal or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org